GitHub is changing the way the world builds software and we want you to help. We are looking for a Software Engineer to work with a dynamic and distributed team building and expanding our platform.
This role will be embedded on the API team, within our Platform organization. The GitHub ecosystem is the heart of GitHub and enables developers and communities to grow and thrive on our platform. The API team is focused on ensuring developers leverage new and existing GitHub features, and on providing developers the platform interfaces to extend GitHub workflows for themselves and the community.
We are looking for a strong engineer that is inspired to build solutions for our developer customers, engineering teams at GitHub, and the GitHub ecosystem.
Together we are creating the tools and products that are integral to how people build software. We pride ourselves on being thoughtful, intentional, and productive. We hope you are as well.
- Write, review and maintain code primarily in Ruby and Go
- Evaluate and recommend solutions to guide team decision making
- Maintain and improve APIs used internally at GitHub and externally by developers
- Document the systems you help build, monitor, and maintain
- Coordinate with product, design, and support to maintain a backlog of priorities
- Improve the scalability and performance of our platform
- 4+ years building web applications
- 1+ years building large, high traffic web applications at scale
- Experience with web applications in Ruby
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Solid knowledge of testing principles
- Experience with relational databases
- Experience with API design
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience maintaining a public API over multiple years
- Experience using GraphQL in production environments
- Experience building or maintaining planetary scale engineering systems
- Experience working with a remote, distributed team
- Ability to evaluate the trade-offs for building highly available distributed systems
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed – Trust by Default – Ship to Learn – Own the Outcome – Growth Mindset – Global Product, Global Team – Anything is Possible – Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We’ve designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We’ve designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we’ve built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.