At Hopper, we’re on a mission to build the most customer-centric travel company on earth. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing mobile first travel marketplace — one that enables our customers to save money and travel better.
Hopper’s goal is to reduce traveler anxiety throughout all stages of the trip buying and taking process. By creating a transparent travel marketplace and unique, data-driven financial technology products focused on providing peace-of-mind, Hopper adds value along each step of the customer’s journey.
Hopper has launched several bespoke fintech products that leverage our immense first and third-party data to create products and value that do not exist elsewhere – including Refundable and Flexible Tickets and Price Freeze. Thanks to these offerings, Hopper’s revenue growth is up 112% despite the travel slowdown due to COVID-19.
With over $250M CAD in funding from leading investors in both Canada and the US, Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration to becoming the world’s fastest-growing end-to-end customer-centric travel offering.
Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company three years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 50 million times and sees over 1 million new installs per month. The app has received high praise in the form of mobile accolades such as the Webby Award for Best Travel App of 2019.
Come take off with us!
The Director of Customer Service is responsible for delivering world-class highly customer-centric support and services through operational excellence and technical product solutions. Collaborate closely with revenue leaders and service delivery vertical leaders to drive continuous improvement and scale the customer service function by automating service functions in the app along with operating an agile customer contact center. Act only with the customer’s best intentions in mind and hold their trust in the highest regard. The Director of Customer Service acts as the utmost subject matter expert and authority on customer service for the business unit and runs the daily operations of the business unit’s customer contact center. As each business unit may have 8-12 verticals, and each vertical typically has 5-10 dedicated agents, this puts approximately 50-100 customer-facing agents under the purview of the customer service director.
The key domains of the role can be broken down into two distinct areas:
– Service journey design and product innovation
– Contact center management
Service journey design and product innovation
- Design the service journey in long form. See around the corner to create compelling customer service outcomes 12+ months down the line by taking into account Hopper’s growth, product roadmap and top line customer service KPIs.
- Lead customer service product innovation.Uncover new areas of opportunity for self-serve automation and product development improvements using data, writing business cases and narratives to support your findings, executing operational opportunities quickly.
- Participate in product development. Product development starts long before engineering. Ask questions, provide data-backed feedback on ideas, business cases and non-technical documentation at each stage of the process for the teams to negotiate features and requirements that impact customer service at every step in the product development lifecycle.
- Grow revenue and lower costs.Generate revenue through providing services that customers value and solutions that are cost effective.
Contact center management
- Build a culture of performance management.Hold the support teams to high standards through the implementation of agent performance management using customer service SLAs as the north star.
- Maintain cultural alignment. We want autonomy between business units but not to operate separate cultures entirely. So the director of customer service must ensure that there is cultural alignment between the customer-facing teams and others inside the verticals and ultimately between the business unit and the organization at large.
- Facilitate speed and autonomy.Write and develop new standard operating procedures that can be used by the business unit and elsewhere inside the organization to further advance our product-development capabilities.
- Act as the coordination layer. Horizontally between verticals within the business unit to ensure that the groups are productive and working towards shared objectives. Also, with the leaders of other business units and especially with the support-led Platform business unit to ensure that company-wide technology outcomes, workforce management, learning, quality and operational best practices are being leveraged for the best possible outcomes for customers.
A Perfect Candidate Has:
- Demonstrable experience working in a multi-channel contact centre operational leadership role, preferably in Travel, and/or SaaS
- Experience scaling customer service to meet ambitious operational goals and targets leveraging technology, process and people. Previous experience managing distributed teams is crucial
- Extensive knowledge of customer service operations in a holistic and comprehensive way (service journey design, FTE capacity planning and performance management)
- Experience establishing clear KPIs and processes for reporting on SLAs and leverage analytics to empower data-driven decisions
- Experience with AML & KYC regulations
- Familiarity with banking/finance/travel industry
- Figure-it-out, get-it-done attitude
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.