The Mozilla Foundation is a global nonprofit passionate about keeping the Internet a global public resource that is open and accessible to all. Established in 2003, the Mozilla Foundation’s mission is to make the health of the internet a mainstream issue. It is also vital: as centralization, surveillance, exclusion and other online threats proliferate, we need a movement to keep the web a global public resource. The Foundation’s work is guided by the Mozilla Manifesto and in 2020, the Foundation launched a multi-year investment strategy focused on advancing “Trustworthy artificial intelligence” globally. The Foundation’s strategic plan on Trustworthy AI is described in greater detail here.
Our Strategic Operations team is seeking a Grants Manager to join the organization as we implement our strategic plan. The plan includes revenue growth from several diverse funding sources including grants from private foundations, U.S. and foreign government agencies and corporations. Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Grants Manager will head all incoming grants management. In partnership with the finance, program and fundraising teams, the Grants Manager manages all facets of the incoming grants process, from pre-award proposals to post-award and award closeout administration. The Grants Manager is a key advisor of all grants management issues including legal and compliance as well as processes and policies and the development of grants budgets. The position works closely across multiple teams at the Foundation as well as being a close partner to the other key member of the grants management team who manages the Foundation’s outgoing grants.
- Develop and review complex proposal budgets that meet funder and Mozilla’s guidelines and priorities in partnership with program and finance teams.
- Review proposals to ensure that the proposed project conforms with Mozilla policies and funder guidelines.
- Work with the fundraising and program teams to respond to opportunities, including compiling required financial-related attachments and enclosures and identifying and assembling appropriate organizational supporting materials.
- Review all incoming grant agreements for their financial requirements and provide advice on their application, feasibility and practical implementation.
Post-Award & Closeout Administration
- You will work closely with the program and finance teams to:
- Coordinate all financial reporting aspects of grants with recommendations on where to allocate expenses to specific funders.
- Lead and support decision-making on grant expenses, interpreting whether an expense is appropriate and allowable within the grant framework, budget, goals and general conditions.
- Oversee the tracking and monitoring of a grant budget versus actual expenditures to ensure expense charges are allowable, allocable and reasonable.
- Other responsibilities and tasks include:
- Regularly meet with program staff (including Directors and VPs) in order to exchange updates and track budget and project progress.
- Oversee the grant reporting process which includes the review of report narratives and completion of financial reports.
- Support the annual audit and donor-led audits for grants/contracts.
- Identify areas of significant risks and advise program staff and other internal stakeholders on compliance issues.
- Work with program, fundraising, finance and legal teams to provide technical support and resolve grants management issues.
- Oversee the continued development and management of procedures for proposal tracking, awards receipt, and award reporting.
- Develop and implement improved processes, policies, procedures, and guidelines to facilitate better management of and accountability for grant income.
- Update and manage organization of all shared electronic and hard-copy grants files on a regular basis.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Minimum 7 years of grants management administration experience.
- Experience with working on a wide range of incoming grants including those from government agencies (U.S. Federal and/or the equivalent European government agency) and private foundations. Experience with Corporate Foundations is a plus.
- Highly proficient with developing budgets and proposals for medium and large-sized grants (six figures or higher).
- Strong comfort with fund accounting concepts and GAAP including expense accruals and revenue recognition requirements.
- Excellent understanding of grants-related legal and compliance requirements.
- Attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to multitask.
- Comfortable working with globally dispersed cross-functional teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to efficiently and concisely deal with a wide range of partners both internally and externally.
- Experience working with software platforms to support job responsibilities and tasks including sound Excel and/or Google Sheet skills.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.