As a Content Strategist for Skillshare, you will be responsible for blending insights and ideas at every stage of the content lifecycle – from talent partnerships, programming and production through to publishing and promotion. In this role on the Originals team, you’ll act as a key liaison with our Data and Platform Ops teams, leveraging and applying insights to our award-winning Originals content (Video, Live, Audio).
You’ll be the champion of our users on the Originals team, understanding their needs/interests so as to identify solutions and tactics that drive acquisition, engagement and retention through content.
You likely have a background as a content editor or producer, with extensive experience using data to make content work harder and better serve users.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a growth-minded creative individual eager to make a big impact on a growing team.
What you’ll do every day
You’ll work cross-functionally to strategize, optimize and measure our internally-produced content.
Content Strategy & Programming:
– Maximize our content by applying insights (including our user segmentation matrix) to every stage of the content lifecycle – from talent partnerships, programming and production through to publishing and promotion.
– Act as a right-hand to the programming and partnerships leads on new content ideas and talent suggestions that will drive awareness, acquisition, engagement and retention.
– Support the business strategies around International and Enterprise expansion with programming ideas (in conjunction with the Head of Originals and programming lead).Use insights (proprietary, external) to scope out new creative offerings and formats that serve the needs of our users.
– Leverage insights to improve content merchandising and positioning for each piece of Video, Live and Audio content.
AB test class titles and thumbnails.
– Edit class descriptions using SEO best practices. Conduct content audits – at both the class-level and on class creative attributes like intros, titles and tone – and identify optimization recommendations.
– Serve as a liaison between the Originals team and the Marketing team on class promotion strategies, ensuring the right content/messaging is put in front of the right users.
Data & Insights:
– Translate the Originals team’s data and insights needs into briefs for our Data, Platform Ops and Marketing teams (for sourcing both proprietary and external insights).
– Serve as a content stakeholder on large-scale research and insights projects.
– Deliver weekly insight and recommendation reports to the Originals team, with an emphasis on class-level reporting.
Testing & Measurement:
– Ideate and measure content experiments that drive awareness, acquisition, engagement and retention – e.g. content series ideas, integrated programming ideas across Originals and Community – working closely with the Community, Product, Data and Marketing teams.
– Design tests to assess demand for new topic areas or tactics via the Marketing team (Blog, YouTube, Social).
Why we’re excited about you:
- You’re equal parts creative and strategic.You get excited by the intersection of insights and ideas, and are equally as comfortable sifting through insights as you are developing (or even producing) a piece of content.
- You’re obsessed with serving users.You have insatiable curiosity about what makes our users tick and how we can serve them through content.
- You’re a people connector.You love collaboration with your colleagues, have empathy for their needs and challenges, and know how to translate information from one discipline to another.
- You can oscillate between the small details and large-scale business impact.You’re constantly looking for ways to grow the business through content, at every stage of the funnel – from awareness and acquisition to engagement and retention.
Why you’re excited about us:
- The long-term opportunity. Be a part of adding rigor to our content strategy, infusing insights and ideas into large-scale projects like International, Enterprise and category expansion.
- Our mission and vision. Join a team that will give millions of people across the globe access to talent and learning while unlocking their creative potential.
- The challenge.You will never, ever be bored. You will work across a wide range of topics, for a wide range of users.
- The team.Colleagues are often the number one factor in job satisfaction and professional development. You will work with a successful team that continually hires top talent and has the pattern recognition to do it again as the company grows.
Skillshare is an online learning community for creatives. We have thousands of inspiring classes for creative and curious people, and millions of members who come together to find inspiration and take the next step in their creative journey. We are a series-D company backed by OMERS, Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Amasia, Spero Ventures, and Burda Principal Investments.
Skillshare is committed to building a diverse team that reflects a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We’re proud to be recognized as a top place to work by BuiltinNYC, Crain’s, and Forbes, in addition to being one of the five best places to work for women by Bpeace, and a top-rated workplace for dads by Fatherly. We work to ensure a consistent interview process, fair compensation, and inclusive work environment for all.
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.