Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
The Senior Product Manager within the Invoice Payments team will be responsible for driving customer and business value through helping small businesses always get paid.
As Xero continues its journey of growth, the Invoice Payments Senior Product Manager will deeply understand the needs and problems to solve when small businesses need to get paid. You will lead, coach and mentor a talented team. Your skillful leadership enables them, and their cross-functional pods, to deliver compelling products and services that solve real problems for our customers. This involves working across Product teams to ensure that we are giving the right priority to the right aspects of the Xero experience at the right time.
What you’ll do
- Set the product vision and evangelise the work across our Product, Technology and Customer teams.
- Grow and develop the team to sustainably support this problem space
- Deliver value through defining, driving and executing the product roadmap that realises the vision and ensures the success of increased customer engagement & saving them time to complete tasks within the Xero product experience
- Bridge UX, technical and customer worlds as you lead strong and productive relationships with stakeholders to deliver on key priorities
- Identify success metrics and track product performance in line with team the product vision, strategy and objectives
- Demonstrate your leadership through personal growth of your team & leading through coaching
- Have a passion for representing Xero’s products
- Cultivate a culture that embodies the Xero values and Product principles
Success looks like: People
- Your direct reports are effectively managed and supported. You lead through coaching and developing them, by empowering them to do the work. Their performance is reviewed regularly and feedback is continually provided in a timely manner, both from your own observations, but also from collecting feedback from others
- There is opportunity for your direct reports to grow at Xero through a clear career path, and there is minimal attrition within your team.
- Empower, challenge and grow team capability. Ensure the right people are solving the right problems and their skills are continuously being developed through new learnings and experiences.
- Your peer Product Managers understand your vision and your product roadmap, and have shared priorities with you when needed.
Success looks like: Product
- You can demonstrate a deep understanding of Xero’s mission and product strategy, and how you plan to execute on the vision and Getting Paid objectives
- Your roadmap is being executed according to plan and you are focused on the most important initiatives. All individuals working on and around your product understand what’s being built, why it’s being built and when it needs to be delivered
- Product success is clearly defined with key customer metrics and constantly measured and reported to key stakeholders, along with recommendations based on insights
- You consider technical investment to be included in the product roadmap, and your teams are actively contributing to the product’s and project’s architectural vision.
Success looks like: Process
- Your team are delivering software with a strong cadence, according to your product roadmap & are looking for small things to learn quickly. You foster an experimentation culture within the teams
- Your team’s product practices are continuously evaluated and improved upon to ensure we are always delivering value to customers.
- Cross team dependencies across shared product lines are effectively coordinated and managed through your great relationships with other Product Owners and Product Managers.
- You are continually working with other Product teams, stakeholders across the business, and your peers in the leadership team to ensure the product roadmap is on track and will deliver for customers and for Xero.
- You champion the product vision and drive development that aligns to the best solutions for our customers and for Xero. Your product vision is clear and understood by both development teams and stakeholders and your roadmap is transparent. It details clearly what will be achieved and when over a projected 12 month period at all times.
What you’ll bring with you: Critical Competencies
- Ability to break down complex problems, deliver real-world business outcomes and handle shifting and competing priorities
- Love for building quality software that customers love and a deep understanding of design thinking and performance analytics
- Ability to build effective relationships across all levels of the business leveraging excellent stakeholder management, open communication style and interpersonal skills
- Able to work closely with technical and non-technical team members in parallel
- Diplomacy and drive
- Ownership and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- An authentic leader with a passion for helping people fulfill their potential
- Outcomes and delivery focused
What you’ll bring with you: Experience
- Defining and owning a product vision and strategy in a SaaS company
- Advocating for / evangelizing a product or service with customers and stakeholders
- Applying modern product development practices to solve customer problems and realize commercial value, and coaching others in them
- People leadership
- Addressing customer needs through innovative use of technology
- Stakeholder management – building meaningful, collaborative relationships across all levels of the business
- Leading software product development projects at scale
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and we like that. A collaborative and inclusive environment is important to us. Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge and support you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, innovation, and well-being are not just inspired but celebrated.
We value our people and offer a wide range of compelling benefits and perks, including Xero shares. Xero’s collaborative culture is underscored by our values – #Ownership, #Challenge, #Beautiful, #Human and #Team – which empower us to understand and serve customers, attract top talent and continuously innovate. From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.