The Infrastructure team
The Infrastructure Software Engineer role
- Be responsible for the overall health and performance of Petal’s underlying infrastructure.
- Participate in the optimization of the entire lifecycle of services – deployment, scaling, monitoring, and optimization.
- Know standard security practices and identify any potential infrastructure-specific vulnerabilities.
- Write code. We want engineers who can automate the deployment, administration, and monitoring of our container-centric Linux environments. We’re strong believers in writing code to solve mundane problems.
- Gain deep application-level knowledge of our systems and contribute to their overall design.
- Work with development teams to enhance, document, and establish processes and generally improve the operability and security of our systems.
- Improve automation of operational processes (provisioning, replication, deployments, continuous integration).
- Bring monitoring, alerting, and observability for production and nonproduction issues to the next level
- Answer questions about our tooling with kindness and compassion. We help others understand the work we do and how they can benefit from using it.
Characteristics of a successful candidate
- At least 3 years of DevOps or site reliability engineering experience. Bonus points for experience in a rapidly growing tech startup.
- Familiarity with open source. We use, learn from, and contribute to many open source products. Familiarity with concepts and principles that are popular throughout open source is a useful skill.
- Capable programmer. Infrastructure remains nimble (and sane) by putting automation and software at the forefront of everything we do. We’re looking for candidates whose main tools include the ability to think and act from a programmatic mindset, and who has: the ability to recognize the need to automate, when duplication has become burdensome, how to keep things simple, and when it’s appropriate to write code.
- Strong Linux and Networking knowledge. We walk the cloud native walk, but still need to be deeply familiar with how underlying systems work when things go awry.
- Knowledge of web design architecture and scalability. With Petal’s current rapid expansion we need candidates who are experienced at designing, building, and maintaining the web architectures of the future.
- Sharp and critical eye for details. The ability to think holistically and also maintain focus on small intricate details is essential for the high-impact, production work infrastructure does.
- Problem-solving versatility and resourcefulness. There will be many new and unexpected problems, and we need someone who can do the required research/networking to propose well thought-out solutions.
- Outstanding communication skills, verbal, written, and visual. We believe in excellent documentation, give frequent internal presentations, and help guide the organization on DevOps/SRE best practices.
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.