BuzzFeed is looking for freelance writers who can contribute entertaining and well-researched pieces to BuzzFeed.com, though what we’re taking pitches on can vary based on the season.
Writers should expect to pitch stories in the following formats: lists (with a minimum of 15 items in each list), how-to guides or explainers, super timely or trending news stories, interviews with experts, first-person stories about trying something interesting, and more.
- Pitch stories to fit into various coverage areas across BuzzFeed, including (but not limited to!) pop culture, trending news, and lifestyle.
- Ability to self-edit — we will offer onboarding and light editorial guidance but expect posts to require very light editing.
- Take assignments from BuzzFeed editors at will.
- Previous experience writing lists and/or about topics BuzzFeed regularly covers
- The ability to find unique angles for major news stories
- Experience vetting and sourcing photos a plus
- Experience with SEO a plus
- Send your writing samples, press clips, and anything else you’d like for us to see in Greenhouse.
- One-off pitches can be sent to [email protected] for consideration.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe we benefit from the diverse perspectives within and across our teams. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment practices.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.