The Wikimedia Foundation seeks a strategic, collaborative, and creative brand leader to help us advance one of the world’s most beloved brands: Wikipedia. This position is part of our larger Communications Team and reports to our Director of Brand.
In this role, you will work with a brand team, Wikimedia volunteers, external partners, technologists, media outlets, and Foundation staff to maintain and grow the Wikimedia brand.
You are responsible for:
- Evolving brand management systems and practices allowing various audiences to easily use brand materials
- Implementing brand strategy recommendations collected from the 2030 Wikimedia Movement Strategy, 2018-19 Brand Research project, and 2020 Movement Brand Project
- Developing tools for measuring and managing brand value
- Reviewing and responding to requests that make use of the brand
- Managing team of brand professionals including Brand Collabs Lead and a Brand Associate to ensure strategic impact of cultural collaborations and community brand materials
- Educating volunteers, partners, and collaborators on the correct usage of brand materials
- Building and maintaining design library of materials, icons, logos, colors, typefaces, and guidelines for volunteers and partners around the world to use
- Developing new programs, partnerships, and events to increase the global impact of Wikipedia and related projects
- Actively positioning the Wikipedia brand amidst changing technology, societal, and cultural factors
- Collaborating with volunteers around the world to ensure brand materials are globally-relevant
- Researching, measuring, and reporting on brand health
Skills and Experience:
- 3-5 years of relevant brand management or marketing experience
- Success working with collaborators across design, technology, legal, marketing, and creative professional fields
- Ability to develop globally-sensitive communications materials
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
Qualities that are important to us:
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to let go to scale or change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Fluency in multiple languages
- Experience working with volunteer-led organizations
- Understanding of free licensing and copyright
NOTE: When submitting your application, please submit a cover letter conveying why you are interested in this role and our mission.
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.