Harvard Business Review is the leading destination for smart management thinking. Through its flagship magazine, books, and digital content and tools published on HBR.org, Harvard Business Review aims to provide professionals around the world with rigorous insights and best practices to help lead themselves and their organizations more effectively and to make a positive impact.
This position supports two editorial products within Harvard Business Review Group; the flagship HBR brand and the HBR Ascend brand, which is a new content brand focused on early career advice and strategy for young professionals.
The Social Media, Digital Designer is responsible for bringing each brand and content to life through storytelling & brand design on social media, information design, and through visual presentations both on and off our platforms. This role will need to adhere to and convey the distinct visual style for each brand.
This person will assume full ownership and responsibility for their work, including concept and ideation, stakeholder communication, visual research, creative assignments, defining and attending meetings, file management, meeting deadlines, purchasing, billing and invoicing.
• Digital content design for HBR Ascend articles on hbr.org, including; charts, graphics, photos, etc.
• Photo research, photo editing, and/or commissioning illustrations for daily articles published on our website
• Design and story-telling for social media channels, including Instagram stories and carousel swipe-throughs
• Support various brands within HBR with icon, logo, or banner design when necessary
• Motion graphics and desktop animation would be a plus*
• They should have a high level of competency working in the Adobe Creative Suite, with a focus on Illustrator and Photoshop
• They should have a minimum 5+ years of design experience, ideally at an editorially driven media company.
• Working knowledge of web and native platform technical requirements.
• After Effects, Premiere would be a plus*
We work in a collaborative community that, at its core, is defined by a friendly, collegial and respectful approach to what we do. The right candidate will be able to work directly with editors, authors, marketing, ad sales, senior management, and all other partners within the organization in a way that is constructive and fosters an environment of good will.
They should be able to work independently and with autonomy, while also intuitively incorporating feedback into their work. They should be able to identify priorities, manage their time wisely and make effective and relevant decisions based on an understanding of the overall business and the goals of the editorial and creative teams.
They should care deeply about quality and execution, have the ability to make compelling arguments in support of a vision, and have the maturity to see the value in multiple solutions and multiple points of view.
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.