Twitter, Inc. (NYSE: TWTR) is the best and fastest place to see what’s happening and what people are talking about all around the world. From breaking news and entertainment to sports and politics, from big events to everyday interests. If it’s happening anywhere, it’s happening first on Twitter. Twitter is where the full story unfolds with all the live commentary and where live events come to life unlike anywhere else. Twitter is available in more than 40 languages around the world. The service can be accessed at Twitter.com and on a variety of devices. For more information, visit about.twitter.com
- Founded in 2006
- Headquarters in San Francisco, CA
- Revenue in 2019: $3.46B
- 70% of users are international
- 3800 employees globally
Senior Software Engineer: Health Core Infrastructure
Are you an engineer who’s passionate about defending online users against abuse, spam, and manipulation?
Health is Twitter’s top priority and we need your help.
We build and maintain the large-scale, low latency distributed systems that power Twitter’s real-time feature computation, rule engine, and data exploration tools that keep spam, abuse, and adversarial accounts off of Twitter.
If you want to work on a team that does some of the most interesting technical work at Twitter, protects people from real harm, and has executive-level visibility, then this is the team for you.
Who We Are
We’re a team of systems engineers that builds and maintains the core infrastructure helping to protect the health of the public conversation. We’re motivated by interesting technical challenges — our real-time feature computation and rules engine runs thousands of rules on half a million events per second — as well as internal and external customer impact. We work closely with our customers in Trust and Safety, User Services and Data Science to provide a platform for technical and nontechnical customers to deploy new features and rules at scale in seconds.
Our work sits at the intersection of a number of interesting disciplines. We do large-scale real-time event processing that needs to catch some of the smartest adversaries. Our flexible platform serves numerous important internal customers. And we build and maintain a grammar, compiler, and tooling for a Turing-complete rules and feature computation language.
We deploy continuously, write unit tests, and do code review.
What You’ll Do
Here are some of the daily duties of the role:
- Extend the functionality of the platform, including new language features and new integrations with other systems, to serve our customers’ needs.
- Profile and stress test to surface inefficiencies in our system.
- Tune cache and storage to optimize our runtime performance.
- Diagnose issues and debug across the entire stack.
- Work with platform services we depend on, including storage, messaging and data platform teams.
- Give conference talks, write blog posts, and otherwise evangelize Twitter health engineering internally and externally.
- Lead small, hungry project teams to impactful infrastructure wins.
- Communicate with stakeholders and build consensus around the technical roadmap.
Who You Are
- You’ve built and maintained a large-scale distributed system before and have the scars to prove it.
- You value deleted code — and code never written — just as much as the code that you do write.
- You’re willing to be coached and to coach others.
- You know when it’s okay to take on technical debt and you eventually pay it down.
- You can balance quality work vs customer requests vs new features.
- You can make the right product and technical decisions independently.
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science or a related quantitative field with 3+ years of software engineering experience
- Fluency with at least one of the following languages: Scala, Java, C/C++, Python, or any functional language (we primarily use Scala)
- Feel equally comfortable with SQL and noSQL data storage systems,
- Experience with designing, improving, and debugging complex, scalable distributed systems
- Experience with writing tests for production software
- Experience operating production software in a UNIX/Linux environment
- Some familiarity with classical computer science algorithms (e.g. tree traversal)
Here’s all the legal good stuff:
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Thank you for your interest and reading, we hope you’ll take your career leap with Twitter by applying today.
- Job Category: Developer & Engineer
- Job Type: Full Time
- Remote: Anywhere in USA 🇺🇸
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.