Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
We believe that people are key to the success of our business. We take that seriously by building a People Operations team that is comprised of experienced HR professionals who can launch and lead forward-thinking initiatives that enable our employees to be highly creative and productive.
In an exciting effort to further expand our team, we’re looking for a Director of Learning & Development to join us and lead our L&D function. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment, bring excitement and calm to your work, are hungry to learn and teach, and can take a systems-thinking approach to determining how to make our organization better, we’d love to talk to you. You will have an extraordinary opportunity to work collaboratively with our team to make Medium the best place for people to bring their talents, grow their careers and to do the best work of their lives.
What will you do?
- You will originate and lead our L&D function with smarts, empathy, and responsiveness.
- You will understand organizational needs and design programs on leadership and management development, diversity and inclusion learning, coaching, professional skills, and career development. You also will recommend a coherent approach for blending learning delivery methods, including classroom, online, and self-paced e-learning.
- You will partner with the HRBP team to promote our growth through talent management, including performance management, organizational health programs, talent reviews, competency frameworks, and career architecture.
- You will cultivate strong relationships within the People Operations team and across key cross-functional groups to understand business priorities, enhance organizational effectiveness, and reinforce a culture of mutual accountability, collaboration, and quick, iterative execution.
- You will champion diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives across the organization, including our ERG program.
- This role will report to Medium’s VP, People. We are currently open to candidates that are looking to work remotely in the United States or flexibly near our offices in New York City or San Francisco.
Who are you?
- You are an accomplished HR Leader with 7+ years of HR business experience, including prior experience working in learning and development, change management, succession planning, culture, and performance management. You have at least 3+ years of experience managing highly-successful teams.
- You have experience building and optimizing programs across diverse teams, and the ability to integrate learning strategy and tactics with other talent management practices, such as career planning.
- You’re both a data-driven strategic thinker and someone who will not shy from rolling up your sleeves to clarify competing priorities, provide clear tactical guidance, and execute with alacrity in a fluid environment. You make timely decisions.
- You have knowledge of contemporary HR and L&D research and practices.
- You have strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills. You also are a dependable team player with a composed and opinionated executive presence.
- You have the ability to(and enjoy!) establishing, fostering, and maintaining strong relationships across the organization at all levels
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We’d love to hear from you.
Thank you for your interest and reading, we hope you’ll take your career leap with Medium by applying today.
- Job Category: Teacher & Coach
- Job Type: Full Time
- Remote: Anywhere in USA 🇺🇸
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.