We’ve taken a novel approach to advertising at Tumblr. Rather than being segregated in terms of look and feel or functionality, ads are first-class citizens in the Tumblr-verse, and can be acted on in the same manner as any post on the site. Any piece of content you can post on Tumblr can be promoted, liked, followed, and reblogged.
We’re looking for an experienced Senior Full Stack Engineer / Senior Software Engineer to help in making our ad system an even better platform of expression for our advertisers and a meaningful experience for our users. We primarily code in PHP and Go, and our tech stack handles billions of events daily which help us power and optimize our system.
What You’ll Do:
- Work on our next-generation Ad Stack.
- Improve our existing ad products and build innovative new ones, while keeping in mind the sensibilities of Tumblr’s user community.
- Take a data-driven approach to development. If we can’t measure the impact of our changes then we don’t build it.
- Mine our existing data for product insights to guide us in creating our roadmap for tomorrow.
- Identify bottlenecks and build in fault tolerance.
- Collaborate with the rest of our small, hardworking team of designers and engineers on the above.
- Leverage open source solutions to empower our products.
- Work with our Machine Learning teams to build AI driven products.
- Own feature development from its inception through the design process, development, debugging, release, and celebration.
- Clearly communicate the status of your projects to internal stakeholders and raise concerns early so any challenges can be quickly addressed. Ability to write clearly and directly to scale yourself and share knowledge is imperative.
This position might be a good fit if you:
- Have a deep understanding of the current technical advertising landscape and toolset or a strong passion for this space.
- Have experience working on a large-scale system, know about systems architecture and experience with distributed systems. Making products faster, more scalable, and fault-tolerant.
- Are highly collaborative and you love participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture, or design.
- Are passionate about and experienced in software development; in particular, advanced PHP knowledge is a plus.
- Are knowledgeable about design patterns and testability; having experience with testing frameworks, performance testing and unit testing is very welcome.
- Have a strong eye for design, and an affection for simplicity.
- A heightened sense of ownership.
- Have a keen eye for data and using data effectively.
- Want to learn and work in a distributed company.
- Experience building and implementing native ads on web and mobile products.
- Experience with Machine Learning and algorithms.
- Fluency in Go.
- Data analysis experience, and understanding of how analytics can help with product decisions.
Speaking of interests and skills, here are some areas in which you can grow and have further impact in the future at the company:
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead and managing releases.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
- Architecture – we encourage developers to develop expertise in the systems they work with, guide their evolution and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – we believe in helping other developers become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
These are exciting times at Automattic and you’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our products.
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.