Slack is hiring a Senior Researcher to join our Research & Analytics team. This team is focused on improving product value throughout the entire customer experience by understanding the how and why of team workflows, communication processes and cultures. To do this, we provide research at every stage of the product development cycle. As a researcher you are embedded in a product vertical alongside a team of designers, PMs, engineers and other cross-functional partners. In addition to conducting many different types of practical and impactful research, you are also passionate about helping to build and maintain the strong user-centered culture at Slack.
Our work ranges from formative to evaluative, with everything in between. We are looking to bring on a senior researcher who is an excellent communicator, passionate about technology, comfortable in a flat, dynamic organization, excited to collaborate, and focused squarely on impacting the design of Slack. You’ll help us conduct best-in-class research in order to better deliver on Slack’s mission: to make your working life simpler, more pleasant and more productive.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- Gather and prioritize key questions from product, design, engineering and product marketing teams.
- Plan and conduct practical, impactful research throughout the entire product cycle, to answer the questions posed above.
- Gather insights about customers and developers from a variety of research methods, including surveys, interviews, diary studies and usability studies.
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative results and convey those insights to the appropriate people in the most engaging and actionable manner.
- Work closely with the product teams to help them use research insights to make Slack better.
- Work closely with other insights teams to tell a cohesive story about our Platform.
- Act as an internal evangelist for customer and product research.
What you should have
- 5+ years industry, research experience
- Masters or PhD in Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Information Science, Computer Science (or similar), or equivalent experience preferred
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis
- Experience managing projects involving cross-functional teams
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Strong story-telling skills and an ability to frame insights into compelling narratives
- Familiarity with developing or using product / marketing frameworks to align cross-functional teams
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and perform a wide variety of research-related tasks, including recruiting participants
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.