Named as a Rising Star on the 2019 Forbes 100 Cloud List, Gatsby has quickly grown to be one of the largest and most exciting open source projects on the web. We’re a modern website framework that builds performance into every website by leveraging the latest web technologies. Create blazing fast, compelling apps and websites without needing to become a performance expert.
Details of the role
- Type of Work: Full-time
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-8 to UTC+4)
- Reports to: COO
Why we’re hiring
Gatsby is a community of tens of thousands of developers, content creators, and other professionals who want to create beautiful, accessible, fast, secure, and overall just awesome websites. We currently have a talented team of marketers who are just rearing to tell our story. We have an amazing journey ahead and you’ll be at the forefront of shaping our success.
Why this is Interesting
Your work will shape the future of the web. You’ll do this surrounded by a team of incredibly curious and passionate people who are electrified at the opportunity to make a change that dramatically impacts the world.
You will be creating the overall marketing strategy for the company, including overall positioning, communications, and commercial strategy. This includes balancing the needs of a large and growing open source community as well as paying customers. Every day will look different, but many will include…
Driving the Marketing Team
- Define and execute a high-leverage marketing plan balancing the challenges faced by open-source and commercial users.
- Roll up your sleeves and join the team on the ground floor, by setting strategic priorities, establishing best practices in positioning, creating content, driving sales enablement, and growing our online presence.
- Effectively prioritize activity and resources within a demanding high growth company so your team focuses on the highest-impact projects.
- Recruit, support, and retain a talented team that is responsible for Gatsby’s success through developer marketing, user marketing, and enterprise marketing, etc.
Partnering with Product
- Partner with product leaders to help drive ongoing adoption of Gatsby by connecting the product roadmap with our go-to-market strategy.
- Drive high-visibility product launches to demonstrate innovation, grow our community, and ultimately drive new revenue.
Empowering Gatsby with Data
- Collaborate in the creation of Gatsby’s performance metrics, including user engagement, customer acquisition cost, churn, etc.
- Leverage data to craft both open source and commercial messaging, channeling deep empathy for developers and using all media avenues available
Channeling & Distribution
- Define channel strategies and help make business decisions
- Articulate Gatsby’s vision and strategy through compelling customer stories that inspire, motivate, and lead to revenue generation.
- Advocate for our existing and prospective users, be informed about our competitive landscape, and become the go-to expert for your product area to help shape the product roadmap and strategy
- Drive brand development that will create a product market fit and “stickiness” for both the open source developer community and commercial enterprises
- Lead the development and execution of partnerships and programs, driving engagement in the Gatsby ecosystem and constantly testing and measuring old and new ideas
- Owned a marketing function for developer-focused software products.
- Scaled a marketing function from its early stages to fully matured (i.e. joined at Series A or B).
- Created go-to-market strategies that required data analysis and experimentation with multiple points of entry.
- Crafted compelling stories that inspired decision-makers and helped products rise above a competitive marketplace.
- Proven track record of people-focused leadership that drives performance to overall business objectives through collaboration.
- Experience with open source or freemium product models.
- Experience in developer relations or more technical marketing roles.
The best parts of this job
- Empowering people is really important to us, so you will be able to have a huge impact on the success of the company and the experience of many employees.
- We’re building the future of the web, so needless to say, you’ll get to work on a very cool product. Someone we recently talked with referred to it as “the hotness.” We liked this description.
- Our team is the best team. Everyone says that but we mean it. They’re fun, passionate, smart, and a lot of them have pets.
The worst parts of this job
- We’re a startup, so things are changing as we mature as a company. Changes will continue to happen frequently. You’ll need to be ready to go with the flow.
- We’re fully distributed, which is awesome, but it can prove to be an extra spicy challenge when managing a growing team.
- We’re working in a relatively new product space, so there’s no exact roadmap for success to lean on.
Benefits and perks
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- Set up costs for a home office OR co-working/private office reimbursement
- New laptop of your choice
- Wi-fi and cell phone reimbursement
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups
Equal opportunity statement
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Cultivating inclusivity and diversity is a top priority.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.