Flipboard is a content discovery platform for your passions, interests, and news. Available on web, iOS, and Android, Flipboard offers the world important and influential articles shared by the greatest publishers and our awesome Flipboard community to advance conversation, keep people informed, and inspire them to engage, learn, and lead.
Flipboard is looking for a savvy curator to help highlight the best content on Flipboard. The ideal candidate is a tech-savvy, media expert with great taste, a solid editorial background, a keen interest in current events, and a deep appreciation of cultural nuances that exist in the English speaking world. This is a remote, 6 months contract at 20 hours/week. The ideal candidate is based near our Vancouver, BC, Canada office for when our offices reopen.
- Work collaboratively with engineers to assess and improve the performance of algorithmically created content
- Regular review, analysis, tuning and quality control on the output of the automated classification system to optimize performance and ensure accuracy
- Continuous, timely review of topic suggestions and storylines emerging in the news, to define, develop and place in the taxonomy
- Ongoing development of taxonomy hierarchies, terms and relationships to support new areas of concentration in Company content
- Research and selection of content to support topic development, auto-categorization tuning, and system QC.
- Bachelor or Masters in Library Science, Journalism, Communications, or Media Studies
- Experience in editorial or curatorial role, preferably in digital space
- Expert in English language media, culture, tech and news
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, in English
- Must be able to present concepts to both nontechnical and technical audiences
- Strong experience with word processing and text editing applications
- Active user of social media
- Strong visual sense, avid reader, enjoys problem solving, impeccable attention to detail
- Fast learner with the ability to become proficient in new applications and be a knowledgeable resource
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced CEO, Mike McCue, the Flipboard team is a positive, respectful, and diverse group of bright and highly capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. The Flipboard team is headquartered in downtown Redwood City, CA in the beautiful SF Bay Area. Although our roots lie in the Silicon Valley, our team extends around the world: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, and London.
- Our culture: We value an environment and culture that encourages people’s voices and perspectives to be heard. We believe that leveraging our team will lead us to create better products and services for all our users and partners. We value diversity and inclusion at Flipboard and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from thousands of publishers around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.