We’re looking for an Engineering Director with a proven track record to lead the multiple teams you’ll support: ensuring that they are growing as managers, leads, and engineers, accomplishing amazing amounts of meaningful work, and generally having a great experience at Skillshare. You’ll work with multiple cross functional teams across Product, Engineering, Data, and Design to deliver products at scale. You’ll get the opportunity to manage and mentor engineers and team leads, grow the team, and shape engineering strategy.
You’ll be joining a fast-paced team that is passionate about technology, building products we’re proud of, and upholding a strong, collaborative team culture. We’re excited to meet you.
What you’ll do:
- Guide engineering strategy as part of the Engineering Leadership team
- Manage managers, leads, and engineers and invest in their career growth
- Help create a healthy culture to make Skillshare a happy and productive place to work
- Regularly assess the technical state of teams, and advocate for best practices, and provide focused mentoring to team members
- Help ensure that our solutions are scalable, sustainable, architecturally sound
- Recruit and hire new engineering team members
Why we’re excited about you:
- Minimum of 10 years of experience, with 3+ years of managing engineers for microservices based cloud-native web and backend applications at scale
- Seasoned manager, comfortable recruiting, coaching, and mentoring highly talented engineers
- Able to build support for strategic initiatives and to make well informed strategic decisionsInfluence and establish engineering best practices through solid design decisions, processes, and tools
- Strong organization and prioritization skills along with outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Empathy for Skillshare end users and being mission-oriented towards the broader impact
- Bonus for having previous startup experience at similarly sized companies with a remote team culture
Why you’re excited about us:
- Impact: You’ll play a key role in growing the team and shaping the strategic direction of our future
- Growth: You’ll have the opportunity to wear a lot of hats and take on more responsibility over time
- Our team: We have a passionate, talented team that is a lot of fun to work with
- Our mission: We’re doing work that matters – connecting lifelong learners around the world and empowering them to pursue their creativity
- Flexibility: We believe that doing your best work means living a full life. That means different things for everyone, so we optimize for trust, invest to support remote teams, have an unlimited vacation policy (with a required minimum!), and encourage work-life balance.
Skillshare is an online learning community for creatives. We have thousands of inspiring classes for creative and curious people, and millions of members who come together to find inspiration and take the next step in their creative journey. We are a series-D company backed by OMERS, Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Amasia, Spero Ventures, and Burda Principal Investments.
Skillshare is committed to building a diverse team that reflects a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We’re proud to be recognized as a top place to work by BuiltinNYC, Crain’s, and Forbes, in addition to being one of the five best places to work for women by Bpeace, and a top-rated workplace for dads by Fatherly. We work to ensure a consistent interview process, fair compensation, and inclusive work environment for all.
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.