The Hustle is a fast-growing, San Francisco-based media company best known for its witty, no-nonsense newsletters that have educated and entertained readers since 2015.
We are a community of builders who are hellbent on changing the world through business. We support this community with business insights and analysis, access to world-class leaders, and a powerful network to help them start and grow their business.
We’re looking to build our base of contributing writers for our daily email and our new paid subscription Trends service. As a Hustle contributor, you’ll be responsible for producing smart, witty takes on the day’s business news, and analyzing emerging business trends for our weekly Trends email.
What You’ll Do:
– Contribute to our daily pitch meetings, helping us brainstorm interesting business and tech stories and new email formats that will inform and entertain our daily newsletter readers
– Write 1-2 daily stories (150-200 words each) or pitch engaging content for the next day’s email
– Pitch and write short- to medium-length pieces for our new subscription service
– Suggest stories for our originally produced Sunday long reads
What You’ll Bring:
– Desire to change the digital media landscape
– Minimum of 1-2 years of experience in the digital media space
– Background or degree in writing or journalism
– Passion for influencing and impacting the world through creative storytelling
– Deep familiarity with The Hustle voice
– Ability to submit outstanding work on ambitious deadlines
– An eye for humor and wit
– Soft spot for startup, business, and pop culture news
– Coachability and willingness to improve
– Experience creating GIFs or using Photoshop or other image editing software
– Get sh*t done attitude
How to Apply
Please submit 3 writing samples, a resume, and cover letter (500 words or less) explaining how you’d crush this job, including any creative ideas for audience engagement.
This is a part-time, contract position. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.