Shopify has focused the last decade on solving complex problems for entrepreneurs by making commerce seamless and accessible. Now, we want to do the same for customers.
As a result of social distancing and stay-at-home measures, customers have become more reliant on online ordering than ever before as it becomes more challenging to stay connected to the brands they love.
With Shop, we have set out to reimagine the online shopping experience. From personalized recommendations to live order tracking, Shop offers visibility, personalized experiences, and peace of mind in one convenient place. By looking at the common pain points in the customer’s shopping journey today and developing specific features like local business discovery, Shop will help both our merchants and their customers develop more meaningful relationships and connections along the way.
Our team operates like a start-up within an established company. The leadership team decides on key themes and members of our team get assigned to them. Then, it’s up to the team to solve each problem, which means they work closely with our UX and PMs. As independent teams, we have the flexibility to make our own decisions and work autonomously. And at the end of each week, we share and demo our work with the rest of the team.
The Shop team in Europe is looking for a dedicated and experienced Development Manager to lead a new team. The right person enjoys rolling up their sleeves and writing code as well as managing and growing a team.
- A passion for helping growing development teams and making others better
- Experience with web or mobile applications for a consumer facing audience
- Worked on large scale, high throughput systems and scaling web/api services
- Strong foundation in Object Oriented programming and fluency in at least one OO language
- Comfortable with relational databases and SQL (we mostly use MySQL)
- A commitment and drive for quality, and building for the long term
- A love of your craft and a curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things
- A track record of taking ownership on problems and projects
What you’ll be working on
- Managing the growth and development of talented technical teams
- Giving timely and constructive feedback, as well as being open to receiving it!
- Setting expectations, and holding teams accountable
- Working with your team to build a highly scalable system
- Designing, building, deploying and maintaining Ruby-based GraphQL APIs with new resources, features, and improvements. You will be hands on keyboard for 30-40% of time at the beginning of this role as we grow out the team
- Building performant solutions that scale to hundreds of millions of users
- We mostly use Ruby on Rails, along with Kafka for a messaging bus, Redis for background jobs, and ElasticSearch for search. We deploy 10+ times a day to Google Cloud with Kubernetes
Apply for this job
To apply for this job please visit
You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles asking for such payments or financial details from you. To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.